Best tips on how to exercise at work
In an ideal world we would all have about 30 minutes each and every day to complete our workout or exercise regime – for many WLS patients this is an essential part of reaching their weight-loss goals.
But sometimes jobs just get in the way of exercising and the gym takes a back seat. If there are times when you can’t fit in a before or after work exercise schedule then try and squeeze some fitness into your workday.
It may be only 10 or 15 minutes when added up but it’s better than nothing and does mean that you are moving towards that goal. Here are some tips on how to exercise at work:
- Park farther away from your office than usual or get off public transport at an earlier stop and walk the rest of the way to work.
- Take the stairs at work instead of the lift.
- Go for a walk during your lunch break instead of eating “al-desko” for the full time. If you go out to pick up your lunch then choose a café or shop a little further away than usual.
- Walk over to your co-workers desk instead of sending an email, using the phone or instant messaging.
- When using the phone get up and walk around while chatting instead of sitting prone.
- If your office allows it swap your chair for an exercise ball so that you can sit on it for part of the day. It will improve your balance and tighten your core muscles.
- Stretch whenever you can to keep supple and relaxed.
- Instead of meeting co-office workers or friends for lunch, coffee or a snack why not meet them for a brisk walk instead.