100 calorie snack ideas
We all from time to time rely upon the odd snack to get us through the day or from one main meal to the next. Pre-packaged 100-calorie snacks (often sold as such) therefore seem like a good idea to keep a sensible handle on the calories eaten.
Many of these may seem like a wise option, but despite the low-calorie count, they can often be a poor choice because they are often highly-processed foods that contain some less than healthy ingredients.
It’s easy to see why they are popular … so many satisfy a craving for something salty or sweet, but they don’t always contain much if any protein or fibre to sustain energy levels and keep you satisfied. My advice is to steer clear of these as much as possible and to enjoy some of these quick and easy 100 calorie snack ideas to fuel you healthily through the day:
* 1 small slice wholemeal bread topped with 2 wafer thin slices deli turkey and 1 teaspoon mustard
* 10 baby carrots with 2 tablespoons hummous for dipping
* ½ apple with 1 extra-light cheese triangle, like Laughing Cow
* a brown rice or seeded rice cake topped with 2 teaspoons almond or peanut butter
* 10 large strawberries with 1 tablespoon goat’s cheese
* 14 unsalted almonds
* small bunch grapes, weighing about 175-200 g
* a crisp bread or rice cake topped with ¼ mashed avocado
* 22 pistachios
* a small bowl of air-popped popcorn sprinkled with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese and a dusting of paprika pepper
* a low-fat and low-sugar single serving yogurt pot dusted with spice like cinnamon or a blend like apple pie or pumpkin pie spice